Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Chalk Shape Game

We are accustom to below freezing temps and foot high drifts of snow this time of year. We are not used to 53 degrees and clear sidewalks. I am loving it but am slightly stumped on what to do. We have snow pants and sleds all geared up and ready to sled, we have tucked away all our outside toys and they have taken down the swings at the park. Here is the time to put on my thinking cap and get the heck outta the house!
The sidewalk chalk has just been staring at me daring me to come up with something that doesn’t involve Clifford the Big Red Dog or animal crackers. We did the standard body outline on the sidewalk, we added brightly colored shoes to is so no one in our neighborhood worries that a midget passed in front of our home.
My daughter is bright but I wasn’t sure if she could handle a standard game of hopscotch so I made up what turned out to be a wildly fun game. She actually asked to play it again this morning, score one for this mama!



I drew basic shapes on the sidewalk and would ask her to do simple things in each shape/color.
-Hop 3 times in the orange heart.
-Sing “Happy Birthday” in the pink triangle.
-Stand in the blue circle and spin around.
-Put 3 rocks in the pink triangle.
Once she is able to grasp all the standard I will try to add more complex things but for now, we are just happy saying “Hi” to Daddy while standing in the gray star. This activity lasted a lot long than I could have imagined, I think it was a good 15 minutes of pure toddler glee and mama calm.


Action shot of jumping in the pink triangle.

This was so simple to do but so much fun for both of us, I think I might have even got a little tan.

signature copy

1 comment:

  1. this weather is AWESOME and looks like you guys had a hoot finding something to do to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete