Friday, January 13, 2012

Yarn Heart {DIY}

Valentine’s Day is fast approaching and my Christmas wreath just can not swing working two holidays, so that baby needed to come on down! Don’t get me wrong, I love my Christmas wreath, it took me so very long to make. The only part I don’t like is the bow, too small but I had other things to deal with at the time so left it as is. I was also foolish enough to think I could make one for each of my sisters and my mother for Christmas! As if my husband having back surgery and my daughter turning two wouldn't keep me busy enough! 
Green Christmas Wreath with Bells and Mini Bow
I found this great idea over at A Little Tipsy. My problem is that most of the fabric  I have just wouldn't work so I grabbed my yarn. 


♥ I cut out a heart from a scrap of cardboard



I took the thick pink yarn and tied a knot on the back of my project. I used my fancy glue gun to attach the knot to the back, a little added security. I started wrapping the yarn around the heart and would double back at some points to give it a more random look, this also helped mask the fact that I had to go over the points of the heart many times to get full coverage on the heart. I would suggest you make sure your ball of yarn fits through the opening in your heart ( sounds like you might need to see a doctor) you might have to make small balls of yarn and use several of them to make this. I didn't use a whole skeen of yarn, maybe 3/4 of one. 


When I got to the humps on the heart I fanned out the yarn and went in more of a random fashion, those humps are tricky! I did this to stop it all from sliding down and would also stop and drop some hot glue on the back to keeping it in place.
Once I was done, I tied a knot and glued  down the tail of yarn.


A lovely length of bright white ribbon and a smashing bow and you are done!




Enjoy!




2 comments: